Tuesday, May 14, 2013

California Dreaming.


Greetings couture compañeros,

Last week I hopped a plane and left  my home town of Paris to travel over the Atlantic to sunny California. I was in San Diego finding some great SoCal pieces (pictures below) when I experienced my first ever
earthquake! It was a rainy afternoon on December 14th, 2012 when a shocking 6.3 magnitude earthquake  off the coast of Catalina Island stuck everyone by surprise. I myself was in the middle of a relaxing seaweed wrap when the room began to shake. Being a licensed geologist among many other things, I couldn’t help but think about the two plates below my feet rubbing up against each other. California is a hotspot for sizmic acivities because of this; the Pacific plate and North American plate cozying up with one another causing the earth to tremble. Of over 100 active faults (these places of meeting) the producer of most of California’s earthquakes is called the San Andreas Fault. Here is a diagram of what the plates are doing and this point:



Because of this geographical occurrence, earthquakes here are regular, about 10,000 a year. But what’s that you say? You can’t feel all of them? Correct, you cannot. Most of these are of a magnitude so small you cannot sense them just standing on the earth’s surface. The plates only move about 56 millimeters per year, that’s about the same as the diameter of the top of the can of soda. 
After my near death experience with a falling lamp, I decided to see this boundary for myself. I headed out to the small town of Parkfield, CA to gather some clothes and visit the fault. Here is a picture of the official sign 
at the boundary:

Located at latitude: 35°53'39.00"N longitude: 120°25'13.93"W

My finds:





So anyways I’m resting up for my next adventure. See you all soon!

XOXO Babar Dagmar Auttenberg XIII

No comments:

Post a Comment